Thursday 24 February 2011

"so, what's it all about?'

Hello!


If your reading this then I suppose, like me, you are an actor and want to go to a wondrous place called Drama school. You may have heard about them...


I started auditioning 4 years ago and although in some cases I have made it all the way to 'reserve list' status I have thus far been unsuccessful in gaining a place at any schools I have auditioned for. I am 22 years old and started auditioning when I was 18.


I would like to say that I am here as a guide, to give advice and prepare you for what actually happens at drama school auditions as I too have gone wondering about the fantastical world of the internet in search of any piece of advice of what to expect and to my frustration couldn't find anything even remotely useful.


So I have started this blog to help you and hopefully allow you to prepare for what is in store. This year I am auditioning for 10 of the 'top' drama schools spanning from London to Manchester, Wales and Bristol and will be writing a blog after each one about what happened. Some schools I have auditioned at before and others it is my first time, so I know what to expect for some but not for others and will be sharing each experience with you as I go.


Firstly, if you have never auditioned at any schools before, they are VERY expensive, with each audition costing £35, £45 or even £55 (that was the minimum and maximum I have paid) so when you think about it 10 auditions at around £45 is - I'll let you do the math, i'm too scared to. So if you are not working then it may be a little tricky getting the money together. Secondly it is worth checking out each school and what they offer, all have differently structured courses covering most of the same 'disciplines' (strange actor talk for subjects) but some are a lot more intense than others, you've got to really want to do this as it will be like working a full time job only not getting paid for the next 3 years of your life! Also this is your money, you've got to research where you want to spend £45 for approximately 15 minutes of your time and you want to have gone to a 'good' school to actually get anywhere after 3 years of training, so please don't waste your money on something that isn't going to offer you the best for yourself and what you want. This is why I recommend this website (click on the link below) as it will give you a list of 'accredited' drama schools. Accredited drama schools are the ones that are industry recognised and will attract the best agents and casting directors to come and see you perform at the end of your third year so it's definitely worth checking out, but please check the courses! remember I know it sounds selfish and horrible but this is about you you you. http://www.ncdt.co.uk/.


So follow me on my journey through 10 preliminary auditions and if I get through to any recalls, fingers, toes, eyes, knees, elbows firmly crossed whilst touching as much wood as I can. I'll also write about those but one other piece of advice I will give you is to enjoy every single moment of it, and don't be afraid to take any risks or respond to anything, just take a deep breath and through yourself in,


you'll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.